Learn about environmental remediation
Become a leading professional with this flexible degree designed to prepare you for life as a Professional Environmental Geoscientist.
Find a life-long career in environmental geosciences: in remediation, in the mining industry, government, or in consulting agencies. Take advantage of small class sizes that provide an open learning environment, and explore on national and international field trips, conferences, and geological talks organized by the student clubs.
Are you curious about Earth and the environment, evolution of life and our planet, what causes climate change, how do you remediate or regreen mine sites? Do you enjoy: The outdoors, hiking, camping, exploring exotic, distant places, working with computers, global problem solving, integrating scientific disciples (geography, biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics)? Then Environmental Geoscience is for you!
Visit the Harquail School of Earth Sciences Website to learn more about the faculty, current projects, research areas, and student and alumni experiences!
The four-year B.Sc. in Environmental Geosciences is designed to meet the minimum knowledge (academic) requirements for registration as a professional geoscientist (P.Geo.) with the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario (APGO). Registration with the APGO will significantly enhance career prospects of Environmental Geosciences students.
- Mining site remediation or bioremediation
- Environmental impact assessments
- 3D computer modeling and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Academia and research, for example mine site remediation, climate change, history of life, by using techniques of environmental mineralogy and geochemistry, bioremediation, sedimentology, or hydrogeology.
- Governmental geoscience or consulting
- Laboratory technology
- Science Communication