You are now in the main content area

International Student Services

Experienced staff dedicated to helping international students who are preparing to study and currently studying at Laurentian University


As the hub for international student services and programs, Laurentian International’s staff will answer questions, make recommendations, and help students to navigate the processes and protocols required for international study in Canada. They can also fill you in on the numerous opportunities for Laurentian students to study abroad and gain valuable international experience while earning credits.

Welcome Guide

Your preparation guide for international students.

International Students Checklist

  • Attend the International Student Orientation.
  • Open a Canadian bank account, get a Canadian cell phone or SIM card. We will help you with this at the International Student Orientation.
  • Get your Laurentian student card at the myLaurentian Hub (first floor of the Parker Building). Register for your courses.
  • Contact our academic advisors to get help with registering for your courses
  • Buy your textbooks in our Bookstore online.
  • Verify your student account balance on Webadvisor and pay your tuition fees using Flywire.
  • (Optional) Get an Ontario Photo ID card so that you can leave your passport safely at home.
  • Prescription medication for the first few months of your stay in Canada.
  • A sufficient amount of travel/health insurance coverage to cover you before you start your studies.
  • Canadian currency to cover your expenses for the first few days in Canada ($500-$1000 CDN CASH).
  • A credit card. Contact your bank to confirm that your credit card will work in Canada. Please note: Tuition cannot be paid by credit card. 

Winter 2023 Orientation

Orientation Events hosted by the International Office

International Student Orientation
When: Friday, January 6th 2023
Where: TBD
Time: 10AM-12PM

International Student Orientation for late arrivals
When: Friday, September 13th 2022
Where: International Office, Parker Building 2nd floor
Time: 10AM-12PM

Study Permit

A study permit is an immigration document that gives you status and permits you to live and study in Canada. It does not permit you to enter Canada. You must have a study permit if your program or course of study takes more than 6 months to complete. Your Study Permit must be valid for the duration of your program in Canada. The Study Permit gives you legal status in Canada to study and automatically expires 90 days after the completion of your program.

*You must always follow the conditions of your Study Permit:

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

A valid TRV is an official counterfoil that is placed in a person’s passport. The TRV is the document that allows you to enter Canada as a temporary resident. An eTA is an electronic document that links your passport to allow you to enter Canada as a temporary resident.

*A TRV or eTA will be issued by the officer at the same time as your first Study Permit application.

Temporary Resident Visa Application guide (PDF)

Temporary Resident Visa Application Instructions (PDF)

Temporary Resident Visa Online Eligibility Questionnaire Guide (PDF)

Working in Canada

Your Study Permit will indicate if you are able to work off-campus. In order to work, you must follow specific conditions listed on your Study Permit:

Some programs require you to complete a work term or work experience as part of the curriculum. Find out if you are eligible to apply for a work permit while holding a Study Permit:

The PGWP is an open work permit that gives you status to remain in Canada and work full-time for up to three years after you graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution. PGWPs are issued once in a lifetime. Your Study Permit expires 90 days after you have received confirmation that you have completed the requirements of your program.

About the PGWP process:

Health Insurance

When you come to study or work at an Ontario university, you must have insurance to pay the cost of healthcare services and medical treatments. The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health plan for all international non-residents studying or working at a participating university or affiliated college in Ontario. Our priority is for you to stay healthy, safe and protected.

Please click here for information on health insurance (UHIP) coverage, how to make a claim and plan details.

The two recommended medical providers in Sudbury are: 

  • Health Sciences North (the hospital) for emergencies and after hours care,  and; 
  • Laurentian University Health & Wellness Services medical clinic on campus open Monday to Friday – 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Closed from noon until 1 p.m.) Fall/Winter (September to April). They can be reached directly at (705) 673-6546 or (705) 675-1151 ext. 1067, or email at You can visit their website here for more information.

These physicians, clinics and other health care providers will:

  • charge Sun Life directly for your medical services/treatments at UHIP rates.
  • ask you to fill out an authorization form at your first visit. This lets them bill Sun Life directly, instead of charging you.


Other clinics charge more and you may not be reimbursed the full amount. 

If you are anywhere else in the Province of Ontario and require medical services, please see link for Sun Life Preferred Provider Network.
TIP! You can call Telehealth for free nursing advice at this toll-free phone number: 1-866-797-0000. You can also download the Sunlife app on your mobile device here.

Available for iPhone and Android devices.

You’ll need a valid email and password to use the app. Not registered yet? Take a few minutes to register now.

Depending on your plan, policy or contract, you can:

  • Easily check the status of your claims.
  • Get help faster by calling us from inside the app. We’ll have your plan details ready to go.
  • Send us a photo of forms we may need, such as void cheques or transaction authorizations.
  • Have your coverage cards handy wherever you go, in the app and Apple Wallet.
  • Find out what your health and medical plans cover.
  • Find health-care providers near you, and see how other Sun Life benefit plan members rate them.
  • Keep up with product and service updates, special offers and helpful reminders by viewing ‘My Notifications.’

Can’t use the app? You can still see your account information by signing in to Or call at 1-877-SUN-LIFE (1-877-786-5433), Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.

If you use this app, the terms of the End User Licence Agreement will apply. Read the agreement on

Go to for a complete list of app features and to find out more.

For all other inquiries regarding UHIP, contact us at

As full-time students you have additional medical coverage through your student association health plan. Follow the links below for more information on your extended health plan. Medical coverage through your student association helps pay for services that are not covered under UHIP.

English Language Institute

The English for Academic Preparation (EAP) Placement Test 

For the Winter academic semester, the Language Institute is requesting that all students who have a conditional offer for the English for Academic Preparation (EAP) program and do not have an IELTS or TOEFL test score take the Duolingo Test of English for level placement. The Duolingo English Test will place students in the appropriate level within the EAP Program.

TEST Highlights:

  • Take the test online anytime, anywhere
  • Finish in 1 hour and get results in 2 days


Duolingo English Test


Students are advised to take the test by Monday, January 4 to allow appropriate time to be placed before classes begin on Monday, January 11.  Your test results will be sent directly to Laurentian University.  You will receive an email from the Language Institute to indicate your level of study once the test results are received.

If you have any questions, please contact Krista McNeely, EAP/UP Program Coordinator, Language Institute -

International Student Services

International Programs, 2nd floor Parker, P-210